4k HDR Capable HDMI Splitter (supposedly)

• Hello,
    i'm new here, i got started on my quest to build a light system when i sold my beloved Philips TV with ambilight for a Samsung 4k that was very lacking in this department. I've been fiddling for a good week or so with different howtos and whatnot. After a lot of trouble and some dabbling with boblight that i got to work 100% for windows (i have a nVidia shield as my "HTPC" and boblight doenst work all that well on it) i got into hyperion. I gotta say i'm over the moon. Got it working with not a lot of trouble.

Got a 269 LED system based on WS2812b leds, and by miracle the RPI2 can actully drive them.

Anyhow, i will at some time rebuild the system to be HDMI based and refine it. When i searched around for parts i came across this splitter. From the minimal testing i have done with it it seems to be 100% what it says.

4k, HDCP 2.2, HDR, HDMI 2.0 (not 2.0a). The price seems very good for such a splitter so I thought I'd tip you fine gentlemen about it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…2-1-in-2/32694337706.html

• There is the following feedback for the product:

"good product, but if you connect to a 1080p monitor and another port to 4k monitor, the box automatically switches to 1080p resolution. Both monitors would output 1080p image."

So you will need a 4K hdmi2AV. I'm not sure if this all will work as expected.

• Wow that sounds excellent. And the price is not really an obstacle either. Good find!

Just to be safe, I am using a 4K compatible HDMI to RCA convertor ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WRRHVW ).

For me, there are only two problems with this approach:
    1. Splitter does not support ARC (Audio Return Channel)
    2. HDMI to RCA convertor does not support HDR signal: Hence if HDR signals are supplied, wrong / random colors are shown.

I am on a lookout for a HDR compatible convertor. Let me know if you come across one.

• Yes this is the big issue, the HDMI to RCA converters. I have tried a couple from ali and the likes and its not been wildly sucessful.

I have one on order now:
    SSRIVER 4K HD Video Converter HDMI to RCA AV/CVSB L/R Video 480P 720P 1080P 2160P HDMI2AV Support NTSC PAL HDMI TO AV Adapter
    http://s.aliexpress.com/zmIbMF7F
    (from AliExpress Android)

My friend has this one, it only gives 4k 30hz though. I have the HDMI splitter in the original post and it behaves like described. If 1 1080 source is introduced it will display 1080 on all outputs.

This one:
    XF TIMES Composite Converter Nintendo
    ... is a total waste of time and does not do as described, no 4k.

• I have been looking a fair bit for this as well. Most stuff on Aliexpress is either Stoneage HDMI 1.4 or just lying about not being it. The capture card normally used is normally not very high res anyways. so i've been toying with the idea of using some other device before the RCA converter that is 4k 60hz at one end and 1080 or less in the other end. Partly because my HDMI switch is stupid and will display 1080 at both ports if one 1080 soruce is introduced. I have ordered the HDMI splitter you posted earlier, it seems promising for this application.

It seems in the world beyond hyperion there is not much demand for highend HDMI to RCA converters, guessing its not a really big seller :p

• I was in the same boat as you guys... HDMI 2.0 setup but the lightberry is HDMI1.4. I ended up getting a HDfury integral (splitter w/ edid management) and HDfury linker (4k > 1080p scaler). Pricey but it saved me from buying a new AVR (its only 1.4 too).
    Setup now is:
    PC > integral > tv
    [INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]> linker > cec adapter > avr > lightberry > tv[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Work well, even if it is a little convoluted. Backlighting works and I still get HD audio sent to AVR plus 4k60 sent to TV.

• I have been looking a fair bit for this as well. Most stuff on Aliexpress is either Stoneage HDMI 1.4 or just lying about not being it. The capture card normally used is normally not very high res anyways. so i've been toying with the idea of using some other device before the RCA converter that is 4k 60hz at one end and 1080 or less in the other end. Partly because my HDMI switch is stupid and will display 1080 at both ports if one 1080 soruce is introduced. I have ordered the HDMI splitter you posted earlier, it seems promising for this application.

It seems in the world beyond hyperion there is not much demand for highend HDMI to RCA converters, guessing its not a really big seller :p

Did you get your RCA convertor working with 4K?

• I bought this one from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.61Lh9I

It works fine, supports 4K, HDR, CEC, HDCP, EDID Management. You can connect one 4K and one 1080p device to it and still get 4K on the device.

How did you configure the splitter DIP-swiches? EDID MIX?
    Bought the same splitter, but struggling to get it to work at 4k@60Hz.
    I can still only get 4k@30Hz with the RCA-converter plugged into the splitter. Tried a bunch of different DIP-switch settings, but nothing.

Summary of my setup:
    Shield TV (2015) connected to input on Denon AVR-X1200 Receiver. Receiver output goes to splitter input, and output1 to TV Panasonic TX-65CX802B and output2 connected to SSRiver HDMI-2-RCA.

Thanks!

• How did you configure the splitter DIP-swiches? EDID MIX?
    Bought the same splitter, but struggling to get it to work at 4k@60Hz.
    I can still only get 4k@30Hz with the RCA-converter plugged into the splitter. Tried a bunch of different DIP-switch settings, but nothing.

Summary of my setup:
    Shield TV (2015) connected to input on Denon AVR-X1200 Receiver. Receiver output goes to splitter input, and output1 to TV Panasonic TX-65CX802B and output2 connected to SSRiver HDMI-2-RCA.

Thanks!

I have actually developed a DirectX 11 capture Windows grabber to run my LEDs at almost 60Hz. See: https://hyperion-project.org/t…r-windows-available.1018/

DIP 1 2 3 4
    X 0 0 0 : copy output1 EDID only - This does not work unless the RCA convertor supports 4K @ 60Hz
    X 0 0 1 : EDID MIX
    X 0 1 0 : EDID Download (RS232)
    X 0 1 1 : 4K X 2K 30HZ
    X 1 0 0 : 4K X 2K 60HZ - Works with a 4K @ 30Hz RCA convertor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHKF945). I still got 60Hz on monitor.
    X 1 0 1 : 1080P 3D 2ch
    X 1 1 0 : 1080P 2D 2ch
    X 1 1 1 : 1080P 2D 5.1ch

These above EDID modes are copied over from AliExpress. More accurate information is available in the splitter's user manual. Note that I had tested this stuff out with a Windows 10 PC and not Nvidia Shield.

Please do not buy the RCA convertor from Amazon that I linked in this post. It did not last more than an hour.

• Sabaat - am I understanding correctly that you where going directly from the splitter to the RCA adapter? Is that a sustainable setup (assuming you have it working now)?

I kind of have the feeling that your converter may have burned out because it was being forced to run 4k@60 - I have that same one and I believe it only supports the HDCP1x standard where 4k@60 requires the HDCP2x standard. Purely speculation.

I'm trying to make this work with my setup, but the splitter I tried thus far has no edid management and forced my resolution (I'm using a shield TV) to 1080p.

I did however grab a little gizmo that is supposed to downscale a 4k@60 signal to 1080p@60 (which is compliant with HDCP1x), but dumb me didn't realize I need a splitter with edid management to actually use the feature the way I intend. The only problem is the splitter advertised to work with it does not advertise as supporting CEC, so I am a bit hesitant to grab it right now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!