Discussion: Hyperion no solder Tutorial

• Really really appreciate your tutorial. It's really great!

If only I had seen this earlier, I would not have to struggle installing my system with 2812 LED and Arduino with Adalight. Anyhow, My set up with 2812 LED works fine. And then I tried to use the v4l2 USB grabber so I can feed other video source (such as my Xbox) to RPI and have the hyperion lights working. But it's not working the way I want.

In the hyperion.config.json file, I leave all priority values as default (v4l2 grabber 900 and framegrabber 890). LEDs do not react to the v4l2 grabber video source. Then I set the v4l2 grabber's priority to 880, the LED only reacts to v4l2 grabber. They will not react to KODI's video.

I am sure I am missing something here. And I have been trying this for days.

So would you please tell me how to fix this so that both v4l2 video grabber and KODI video can both work e.g. I turn on my Xbox, LED reacts to Xbox video source through v4l2. Then I turn off Xbox, LED goes back to work with KODI automatically.

Thanks!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hey @shawnleo001, i am writing the additional part for this tutorial to extend HDMI-Sources. But i have the same problem as you! I tried yesterday different solutions but nothing where i would say "yeah that's good" and second problem I'm try to figure out how to fix it is the color calibration. The colors from kodi are digital values...so it is easier to detect them, using a USB grabber the colors are changed to an analog signal...so the detection/perception is a different... so may i will first release a tutorial with a "workaround" and then we have to look how we could solve the problem :)

• Hey @shawnleo001, i am writing the additional part for this tutorial to extend HDMI-Sources. But i have the same problem as you! I tried yesterday different solutions but nothing where i would say "yeah that's good" and second problem I'm try to figure out how to fix it is the color calibration. The colors from kodi are digital values...so it is easier to detect them, using a USB grabber the colors are changed to an analog signal...so the detection/perception is a different... so may i will first release a tutorial with a "workaround" and then we have to look how we could solve the problem :)

Thanks a lot for your quick response! And thanks for your information. I will be looking forward to your tutorial! You guys rock.

• Thanks for the tutorial. I connected Pin 9, 19,23 and power supply to the other side of LED strip (output side). Now only two LEDS of 86 are on. Do I need to connect everything to the input side or just PINS to Rpi3 and power supply can be left on the output side?

• Input side: 5V CK DI GND shown like at the picture, you can´t input CK and DI at the end. This is just possible on the right side (DI input and DO is output)

I recommend to connect the output again with 5V and GND with a additional wire, cause you will see a brightness difference. (as shown at the tutorial)

• Something that could help clarify things on your wiring diagram is including which side is the positive and which is the negative for the connector which goes to the led stripe power supply.

• Problem: Followed the guide, but hyperion doesn't start. It displays red letters [FAILED] at boot.
    I did 1 thing different from the guide: I added user osmc to sudoers. I don't think that is the cause of the problem.

It (message at boot) suggested to run systemctl status hyperion.service, so I did. See below for output.

osmc@osmc:~$ systemctl status hyperion.service
    * hyperion.service - Hyperion Systemd service
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hyperion.service; enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Fri 2016-07-01 20:07:42 UTC; 6min ago
    Process: 381 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 381 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

There is no /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json
    I used hypercon to send configuration file. I'm now trying to use filezilla to transfer the file. I'll post an update.

UPDATE:
    I tranferred the file with filezilla, and the service is active now.

Lights aren't on, so I'll troubleshoot further.

UPDATE:
    I'm missing at least 1 more file: /etc/init.d/hyperion
    Now 2 files are missing, I have no reason to assume there aren't more files missing. Why didn't the HyperCon tool work for me, while it obviously does for you?

• Greetings,

/etc/init.d/hyperion

You use systemd so you stick with /etc/systemd/system/hyperion.service instead.

Currently no idea why the config push via ssh won't work for you.

You should now be able to get a log with

Code
    journalctl -u hyperion

so what is currently going on or not. Or use the "Get Log" button, should also work.

• Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (267)
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: Version : V1.03.0 (GitHub-b8f7642/c5d5f2d-1465599599
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: Build Time: Jun 11 2016 01:39:39
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: HYPERION INFO: ColorTransform 'default' => [0; 45]
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: HYPERION INFO: ColorCorrection 'default' => [0; 45]
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: HYPERION INFO: ColorAdjustment 'default' => [0; 45]
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: LEDDEVICE INFO: configuration:
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: {
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: "colorOrder" : "rgb",
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: "name" : "MyHyperionConfig",
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: "output" : "/dev/spidev0.1",
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: "rate" : 1000000,
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: "type" : "ws2801"
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: }
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Creating linear smoothing
    Jul 01 21:46:26 osmc hyperiond[267]: HYPERION (CS) INFO: Created linear-smoothing(interval_ms=50;settlingTime_ms=200;
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: 27 effects loaded from directory /usr/share/hyperion/effects
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: Initializing Python interpreter
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Hyperion started and initialised
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Boot sequence 'Rainbow swirl fast' EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Rainbow s
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0 (0)
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: started
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Json server created and started on port 19444
    Jul 01 21:46:27 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Proto server created and started on port 19445
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: DISPMANXGRABBER INFO: Display opened with resolution: 1360x768
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0 (0)
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: INFO: Frame grabber created and started
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: BORDER SWITCH REQUIRED!!
    Jul 01 21:46:28 osmc hyperiond[267]: CURRENT BORDER TYPE: unknown=0 hor.size=0 vert.size=0
    Jul 01 21:47:01 osmc hyperiond[267]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished

• osmc@osmc:/etc/systemd/system$ sudo /usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json
    Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (621)
    Version : V1.03.0 (GitHub-b8f7642/c5d5f2d-1465599599
    Build Time: Jun 11 2016 01:39:39
    INFO: Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json
    HYPERION INFO: ColorTransform 'default' => [0; 45]
    HYPERION INFO: ColorCorrection 'default' => [0; 45]
    HYPERION INFO: ColorAdjustment 'default' => [0; 45]
    LEDDEVICE INFO: configuration:
    {
    "colorOrder" : "rgb",
    "name" : "MyHyperionConfig",
    "output" : "/dev/spidev0.1",
    "rate" : 1000000,
    "type" : "ws2801"
    }

INFO: Creating linear smoothing
    HYPERION (CS) INFO: Created linear-smoothing(interval_ms=50;settlingTime_ms=200;updateDelay=0
    EFFECTENGINE INFO: 27 effects loaded from directory /usr/share/hyperion/effects
    EFFECTENGINE INFO: Initializing Python interpreter
    INFO: Hyperion started and initialised
    INFO: Boot sequence 'Rainbow swirl fast' EFFECTENGINE INFO: run effect Rainbow swirl fast on channel 0
    BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0 (0)
    BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    started
    INFO: Json server created and started on port 19444
    INFO: Proto server created and started on port 19445
    DISPMANXGRABBER INFO: Display opened with resolution: 1360x768
    BLACKBORDER INFO: threshold set to 0 (0)
    BLACKBORDER INFO: mode:default
    INFO: Frame grabber created and started
    BORDER SWITCH REQUIRED!!
    CURRENT BORDER TYPE: unknown=0 hor.size=0 vert.size=0
    EFFECTENGINE INFO: effect finished

It hangs after that. No new command line.

• A hardware doubt...

Zitat
    • Attention: If you use more then 32leds/m we run into power issues and the strip is more then 10mm width (which is not compatible with our connectors)
    • Hint: You need for a 50" TV around 3 meters of a led stripe
    • Attention: This solution has a limit of around 100LEDs, cause the connectors are not capable to handle the power delivery!

I have a 55" Samsung which would require around 4m of led strip, which would surpass the 100LED limitation. What's the easiest way to solve this and what's the ideal leds per meter ratio to obtain the best quality/performance?

• Great tutorial! I have two questions.

1) I have a RPi2 with LibreElec instead of the RPi3 with OSMC. Do I have to change any settings in this tutorial?
    2) Before buying anything, I have a led strip available without a clock function (only data, 5V and ground connnections). Is it possible to use this LED strip in stead of the one you are using?

• Grettings,
    1 HyperCon: At the ssh tab you need to change the system to LE/OE for install of Hyperion and calibration
    2 Yes, instead of using these corner connectors just solder 3 wires instead with at least 0,5mm² each.

Have fun :)

• Thanks for the fast reply. Now I can all ready start this evening :thumbup:
    I was planning to use more then 100 leds so I was going to solder it anyway.

Just out of curiosity, I have 2 more questions.

1) Where is this clock function on the led strip used for and why doesn't my led strip need one? (I now realize this are 2 question already :D)
    2) First I had the intention to follow a different guide which also uses the RPi+Arduino+Hyperion. How is it possible to have the same result without using the Arduino anymore?

• No problem,
    There are two chip groups available SPI (4 wire) and pwm (3 wire). See here for all chips https://hyperion-project.org/t…which-led-is-the-best.35/
    It is possible to run these 3 wire chips at the pwm pin of your Pi, but it is not recommended, so it could work, but you may run into issues. the problem is that the the 3 wire chips need the same amount of data like the 4 wire. To squash this information in 1 wire is very timing critical and the pi cpu can't handle it that good like a cheap arduino.

So yes, the recommended way is using a arduino for a stable pwm signal.
    A sketch which runs with most leds is here: "Additional configuration" https://hyperion-project.org/t…-ws2801-ws2812b-apa102.8/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!