LG OLED, Hyperion & MediaPortal

• Hi all,

Since i recently bought a new TV to replace my 'old' one, it was also time for a new Ambilight project ;)
    With some help of Rick164 & azzuro i got it ready yesterday. Spend some time on calibration today (which only needed Gamma correction), and pretty happy with the results.

My previous setup was with the WS2812B LEDs (some info about it here)

New setup contains 262 APA102 LEDs, which are powered with a RPi 3(b) and a Meanwell 20A PSU.
    2 big wires (12 AWG (2mm) diameter) from the PSU to the back of the TV, and from there split into 6 wires (18 AWG) to power the 4 strips. Top & Bottom strip needed powering from both sides to keep the colors consistent.

Some pics and a video (before calibration):

Kapton tape, just to be sure. Previous TV had a LOT of isolation issues and i was breaking LEDs faster than i could replace them.

LEDs attached, time for soldering

Data & Clock wires connected all around

Initial powerlead, which was later on replaced with at least 1 (2 for Top/Bottom) individual wires:

First thick wire from PSU, split 4 ways on the back. A 2nd thick wire was added to power the Top & Bottom strip from both sides.

A quick test. All looking good!

RGB after calibration:

Video (before calibration):

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Weekend around the corner, so a good time to enjoy the new setup :bigsmile:

Big TNX to the devs! Hyperion definitely works better than AtmoWin ;):thumbup:

• New here and just wanted to stop by and say that this setup is awesome and super clean. Where did you get those terminal blocks that connected all the power and grounds? Also Are you mounting your Raspberry Pi behind the TV or are you running the Data and CLK lines over a distance?

• New here and just wanted to stop by and say that this setup is awesome and super clean. Where did you get those terminal blocks that connected all the power and grounds? Also Are you mounting your Raspberry Pi behind the TV or are you running the Data and CLK lines over a distance?

TNX :)
    I got the blocks from a local electronics store:
    https://www.conrad.nl/nl/Searc…REGULAR&search=wago%20222
    brand seems to be WAGO, but i assume they sell similar welding clamps in most electronic stores.

I'm running my Data & CLK lines over a distance of about 2 meters, the Pi is in a closet below the TV.

• Hey HomeY,

I really like what you've done here- what model of LG is this? I have the 65" OLED and am looking to decontruct my old version and start over with this new tv. Did you have to supply the power like this because of how many lights you were using or could you have just soldered all the lines together and powered it from the one source? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to electricity. By my math I should be under 275 lights total depending on where everything starts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!